Vegan baking is easy and delicious! Here are all the best vegan baked goods to try: biscuits, bread, muffins, cakes, cookies, and brownies.
Eating plant based or vegan recipes and love to bake? No problem. Baking with no eggs or dairy is easy and delicious! Really. After years of experimenting with recipes, Alex and I have learned: vegan baking recipes can be some of the most delicious out there. Here are all our very favorite vegan baked goods, from savory to sweet! Here are the types of recipes you’ll find in this list:
A few secrets to vegan baking!
Before we start: here are a few quick tips on the secrets behind vegan baked goods. Just how to replace the milk, butter and eggs in vegan baking? It’s different based on the recipe, but here’s what we most often use:
- Flax egg. Often we substitute eggs with flax eggs, the vegan trick for using ground flax seeds and water to work as a binder. (Or, we’ll reformulate the recipe to not need an egg at all.)
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil is often our substitute for butter in vegan baking. It has the richness of butter and is solid at room temperature.
- Almond milk or other non-dairy milk. The non-dairy milk we use most often in baking recipe is almond milk, but often oat milk, cashew milk or coconut milk work.
And now: our best vegan baked goods!
First up in our vegan baked goods: muffins! “You’d never know these muffins don’t have butter or eggs.” That was my mother in law, one bite in. And with that, we knew we had a winner in this recipe! These vegan apple muffins are perfectly fluffy and moist. The best part is a crunchy apple streusel muffin topping: it gives each bite a perfectly sweet crunch, without being overly sugary.
Want a go-to easy homemade bread recipe? This vegan bread recipe works for just about anything. It’s perfect for sandwiches, making toast, or serving with soup. Even better, it really is easy compared to other breads you’ll bake. You don’t need specialized equipment, and it bakes right in a 9-inch loaf pan. It’s got a little whole wheat flour, oats, and seeds on the top for added nutrients and flavor. You’ll never need to buy bread again!
What’s better than a fresh scone on a lazy morning? For a stellar plant-based version of this popular baked good, try these Vegan Scones! They come out golden and lightly sweet, an ideal morning treat for weekends or entertaining. Like a good scone, they’re scented with vanilla and orange zest (non-negotiable, we think). And even better? They’re endlessly customizable. Add fruit like blueberries or cranberries, or drizzle with an easy powdered sugar icing.
This vegan cornbread is the moistest, fluffiest, thickest recipe we’ve made, with the best sweet-savory tang! Here’s our go-to, brought to you by the magic of cornmeal and coconut oil. It’s all the nostalgia of sneaking licks of the Jiffy corn muffin mix spoon, without the processed part. It’s a short list of ingredients—and 100% plant-based too.
Is it possible to make vegan biscuits without butter? Lucky for you–and us, yes! Here’s the recipe for the best vegan biscuits with that signature layered look, a buttery flavor, and a flaky interior. And, you can bake them in up 30 minutes. They’re the perfect side for soups, or as a snack topped with strawberry jam.
Everyone needs a good banana bread recipe. And if you’re trying to eat more plant-based foods, here’s the good news: it’s easily made vegan! Yes, this vegan banana bread tastes just as good as a standard loaf (or better?). People will say, “I’d never think this was vegan!” Because baking without eggs and butter yields a perfectly sweet and moist loaf.
Are you ready for the chewiest, salty sweet, delicious vegan chocolate chip cookies? They’re made all from whole food ingredients, are downright delicious, and made dirtying only one bowl. Oh and did we mention they’re naturally gluten-free, too? They've got an irresistibly chewy texture using almond flour.
These vegan brownies are rich and insanely fudgy! A wholesome treat that tastes decadent, they're also gluten-free. And somehow 100% plant based, using mostly whole foods like almond butter, applesauce, and maple syrup. These brownies instantly jumped to the top of our chocolate desserts list! We hope they will for you, too.
Want to make beautiful artisan bread but don’t want the commitment level for sourdough? This artisan bread recipe is the perfect place to start. Our sourdough bread recipe (below) is one of the best resources on the internet for how to make sourdough bread! But to start with something a little more accessible? This artisan bread recipe teaches you the skills of sourdough but with a simpler and faster method! See also: Artisan Multigrain Bread
Here’s a vegan banana muffins recipe that will make everyone say, “Wow!” They’re fluffy and just sweet enough, with the perfect banana flavor. Even better, a streusel topping gives every bite a little crunch and extra touch of sweet. You’d really never know these are vegan, and they work for eaters of all diets!
It’s cookie time! What’s your ultimate cookie? These vegan peanut butter cookies are where it’s at for Alex and me. They’re soft but perfectly crumbly, and salty sweet. Decorated with the classic criss-cross pattern, they’ve got a sparkle of sugar. If you'd like, add our chocolate icing drizzle, which makes them look even more fun.
A little confident over here, but we think this is the best vegan zucchini bread recipe you’ll find. Yep, we said it! This zucchini bread is moist, cinnamon-scented, and the perfect sweetness. It’s got just the right texture: it’s not too oily or dense. And, this quick bread is easy to put together!
These vegan blueberry muffins are incredibly tasty and are a total crowd pleaser! With a hint of turmeric, they have a beautiful golden color too. These muffins can be considered healthy-ish: they have less sugar than the standard muffin, and use naturally sweet maple syrup. With the bright tang of the blueberries and a hint of lemon, they're irresistible.
This vegan pumpkin bread is the ultimate in cozy. It’s perfectly moist and intensely pumpkin spiced. Even better, it’s light and fluffy: so you get your pumpkin spice fix without it being overly heavy or rich. Yes, it’s a seriously good pumpkin bread that happens to be plant-based too!
These vegan breakfast cookies are hearty, tasty, and the texture is just right! It's pleasantly chewy, almost like a Cliff bar–but better. They’re flecked with bright orange carrots and studded with walnuts and spices. Perfect for vegan breakfast ideas!
Cross our hearts, we promise that these pumpkin oatmeal cookies will quickly become a favorite! Because get this: they taste like oatmeal cream pies (hello, nostalgia!). They’re a healthy, pumpkin spiced spin decorated with an easy powdered sugar icing. Yum!
Making homemade sourdough bread is one of the most satisfying, transformative things you can do. And this bread is 100% vegan! It’s tastier, healthier, and cheaper than any bread you’ll buy at the supermarket. Here's our Simplified Guide for Sourdough Bread. It has easy to understand steps, a video, and a printable checklist to make sure you’re able to master the process.
Last but not least in our vegan baked goods, chocolate cake! This incredible, decadent vegan chocolate cake features a rich, moist interior and a fluffy buttercream filling. The best part? It’s topped off with a shiny ganache topping! You’re going to want to stop what you’re doing and run to the kitchen to make this: NOW! This legitimately incredible vegan chocolate cake is just sweet enough and perfect for chocolate lovers.
Vegan Apple Muffins (& More Baked Recipes!)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
You’ll never believe these vegan apple muffins are totally plant based! They’re moist and fluffy with a streusel topping that adds a sweet crunch.
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- ¾ cup rolled oats, divided
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ¼ cups applesauce
- 1 cup diced apple (1 medium apple)
- ½ cup coconut oil, half melted and half room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add 12 muffin cups to a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix the 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup rolled oats, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon with the ginger, allspice, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- In another bowl, combine the maple syrup, applesauce, melted coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until a smooth batter forms. Mix in the diced apple.
- In another medium bowl, add the remaining ¼ cup rolled oats, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon along with the turbinado sugar and salted butter (cut into small pieces). Cut the room temperature coconut oil into the remaining ingredients using a pastry cutter or fork until it’s evenly combined and a crumbly streusel topping forms.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Then top with a thin layer of streusel.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (if your oven is uneven, reverse the pan halfway through). Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins and place them on a cooling rack to fully cool.
*We highly recommend using turbinado sugar for its signature crunch! However, we’ve substituted brown sugar, and they still tastes delicious!
- Category: Muffin
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Baked Goods, Vegan Baking Recipes
More vegan recipes using your oven!
Of course…you can bake lots of things in your oven that aren’t baked goods!
- Favorite Vegan Lasagna This will become your new favorite lasagna: guaranteed. It’s whole food plant based and dairy free.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Moroccan Lentils This healthy baked sweet potato with Moroccan lentils is a nutritionally-balanced one dish vegan meal that’s also drop-dead delicious.
- Baked Potato Wedges Looking for classic baked potato wedges, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and perfectly salted? Have we got the recipe for you.